Does your business have exciting news it wants to share with the rest of the Anchorage Chamber membership? To submit an announcement, log in to your Anchorage Chamber profile and complete a News Release. For assistance accessing your account, call (907) 272-2401.
Anchorage Chamber staff will review and approve all submissions.
Anchorage Economic Development Corp. Board of Directors recommends strategies to combat state fiscal crisis
Anchorage, Alaska - The Anchorage Economic Development Corp. Board of Directors released a letter to Gov. Dunleavy and the Alaska Legislature today, recommending the following strategies to be implemented as key components of a solution to the state’s ongoing fiscal policy crisis:
- Limited, targeted budget cuts while maintaining and improving essential programs and services.
- A statewide sales tax that protects municipal sales tax collections and contributes new revenues to the state treasury.
- Adopting a constitutional amendment incorporating a percent of market value (POMV) strategy into the state constitution to protect the Permanent Fund for current and future generations.
The AEDC Board of Directors believes there needs to be a sense of urgency in addressing Alaska’s ongoing fiscal crisis. It also recognizes that a comprehensive solution will require several elements, including identification of stable revenue sources, disciplined budgeting and measured spending. The Board of Directors stands ready to collaborate with the Legislature and be an active participant in this process, supporting these recommendations with the organization’s perspectives, expertise and leadership.
The 2021 AEDC Business Confidence Survey (BCi) represents the views of 210 Anchorage businesses. The survey identifies common themes in alignment with views held by the AEDC Board of Directors.
When asked what issues were most important to the Anchorage economy, 79% of the businesses surveyed ranked “Sustainability of State of Alaska operating budget” as most important. Other key takeaways from the report are as follows:
- 73% of respondents support reductions to state spending.
- 70% of respondents support a statewide sales tax.
- 74% of respondents support a reduction of the Permanent Fund Dividend payout.
AEDC is a private nonprofit corporation, operating since 1987. It exists to encourage growth and diversity in the Anchorage economy, promote a favorable business climate and improve the standard of living of Anchorage residents.