One of Alaska’s largest freight moving companies has an immediate opening for a Yard Hostler.
The primary functions of this position are to load and unload freight in a safe and efficient manner while ensuring positive customer service relations.
Strong communication skills, time management and organization are required to be successful in this position.
Previous transportation or freight experience is preferred as well as the ability to read schedules, maps, hazardous materials documents and other paperwork as well as make proper equipment selections.
CDL A & Hazmat Endorsement Required, Hazardous Material Certification and Forklift Certification are also required.
- Inspect trailers for secured loads before pulling from door
- Verify HazMat in loads to remove/add placards
- Ensure trailers going North and/or South are “road ready"
- Daily inspection of Yard Goat for proper fluid levels
- Utilize proper precautions in backing trailers to doors while door are open on trailer
- Load and unload freight from/to all types of vehicles
- Attach tags or marking freight with appropriate identifying information
- Move freight, stock and other materials to and from storage and production areas, yard, loading docks, delivery vehicles and containers by hand, pallet jack, forklift or other required equipment
- Check specifications of materials loaded or unloaded against information contained in work order
- Complete appropriate paperwork properly/ Accurate record keeping/record numbers of units handled or moved
- Assist customers (over phone and face-to-face) regarding freight in a polite and professional manner
- Read work orders or receive oral instructions to determine work assignments and material and equipment need
- Warehouse cleanup
- Consistently adhere to all of companies/MSTS Safety and Fit for Duty policies as well as attend safety and team meetings
- Assist other coworkers and departments as requested
This is a full time NIGHT SHIFT position Sunday-Wednesday, 5pm -3am with pay starting at $21-$23/HR Depending on experience.
- Highschool diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License & Clean Driving Record
- Valid Medical Card
- CDL A & Hazmat Endorsement Required
- Hazardous Material Certification
- Forklift Certification
- Ability to lift/move 70lbs
- Steel toe boots
- Background will be viewed
- Drug free environment