Bilingual Professional Development Specialist
thread is a non-profit agency and the statewide Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) Network whose mission is to advance the quality of early education and child development by empowering parents, educating child care professionals and collaborating with our communities. Since 1986 thread has been supporting families with child care referral services and parent education about child development, and also supporting early educators through training and consultation.
The Bilingual Professional Development Specialist provides professional development supports and services to early educators and early childhood education programs to improve the quality of early childhood education in Alaska.
- Provide professional development services to early childhood and school age professionals including training, Child Development Associate (CDA) support and verification, technical assistance, consultation and coaching around a variety of early care and education topics.
- Provide on and off-site professional development services and support informed by formal and informal assessment tools to early childhood and school age professionals and to early childhood education programs throughout Alaska.
- Support early childhood professionals and clients with payments, registrations, and cancelations by acting as the verbal and written translator.
- Create, implement and facilitate professional development training following principles of adult learning best practices including in-person and distance delivery.
- Support early childhood educators in work toward and obtaining a Child Development Associate (CDA) credential through the Council for Professional Recognition.
- Provide professional development career guidance to early childhood and school age professionals (i.e. working toward the Alaska Early Childhood Administrator Credential)
- Perform on-site assessments of environment and operations as requested using a formal assessment tool.
- Gather, input and maintain program data and reports through database systems and shared office communication and documentation tools.
- Support early childhood educators and, at times, families to accommodate children, family members, and staff with special needs and/or challenging behaviors in the early childhood education program setting.
- Support early childhood education programs in continuous quality improvement including working towards national accreditation standards.
- Provide professional development services following Learn & Grow, Alaska’s Quality Recognition and Improvement System, procedures and practices.
- Provide professional development services following team policies and procedures including data entry and document management.
- Develop, coordinate or lead team projects as assigned.
- Represent thread and promote thread services in community, events, partnership meetings and committees as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
1. BA/BS required, MA/MS preferred, in child development, education, health education, social work or related field.
2. Prior professional experience in an early childhood setting preferred.
3. Bilingual in Spanish required.
4. Previous experience coaching and teaching adults preferred.
5. Previous experience with early childhood development, mental health, or related work preferred
6. Previous experience with early childhood and school age program assessment tools.
7. Current driver’s license required, Alaska driver’s license preferred.
8. Must pass background check; references and valid identification required.
1. Passion and commitment to thread’s mission and the importance of early childhood education.
2. Flexibility and adaptability as organizational needs change.
3. Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
4. Strong interpersonal skills required.
5. Knowledge of early care and education, inclusive child care, children’s health and social services and community resources.
6. Knowledge of child development, early childhood best practices and effective professional development models.
7. Knowledge of adult education practices and previous experience training and consulting; comfortable with public speaking.
8. Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of early childhood and school age professionals, parents, staff and members of the community.
9. Ability to engage in collaborate teamwork with members across the state.
10. Ability to use database systems and general office programs with comfort and ease including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Zoom, PowerPoint, Salesforce, shared project management tools, and Outlook.
11. Ability to travel to meet job requirements, including travel to rural communities via small planes (generally 1-4 times per year).
12. Ability to work a varied schedule based on service delivery needs, including evenings and weekends as required.
13. Bilingual in speaking, reading, and writing a plus.
Schedule and Compensation:
- Position Hours: Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, occasional evenings and weekends required each month (generally 2 to 5 times).
- Location: 3350 Commercial Dr. Ste 203 Anchorage, AK 99501
- Position Type: Part- and Full-Time positions available
- Classification: Exempt, Permanent
- Supervisor: Professional Development Team Leader
- Supervises: Position may require supervision of program staff
- Compensation: $55,000 - $60,000/year
- Full Time Benefits: 20 days of PTO (starting), 13 paid holidays, 403b match, High-Deductible Health Plan with HSA option (employer contributes $750/year to HSA), Dental, Vision and Life. All premiums covered 100% for employee’s health, dental, vision and life. Free thread services.